A DJ in demand relies on a bag that not only gets the job done, but is in sync with their style. Splitting time from trendy lounges and airport lounges around the globe is habitual to music mastermind DJ Vice.
This spinning savant’s schedule of tours span from Japan, Europe, LA, New York and back to his residence in Vegas. When traveling from venue to venue, Vice requires one carry-all that he can pack on his back, jet-setting direct from the plane to the club. Propelled by the lifestyle led by nightlife entertainers, Tumi tapped into Vice to amplify the Tumi Alpha T-Pass™ Business Class Brief Pack®, the chosen travel companion within this niche community. Launching July 2013, the Tumi x Vice Brief Pack® bag illustrates design elements tailored to this world-class DJ’s necessities.
The limited-edition piece packs in added enhancements that the elite of music makers can appreciate, all the while commanding attention with pops of Vice’s signature electric green color. While spinning a set inside a dark club, Vice found it problematic to dig into his bag to find belongings successfully, so he worked with Tumi to engineer a LED-lined interior. With the click of a button on a small remote, the inside of the bag gleams electric green, for ease of searching for personal items when lighting is scarce. From business class to the DJ booth, Vice demanded a transitional bag tailoring to his needs, both large and small. A compact option was therefore incorporated into the design, allowing for the rear of the bag to zip-off into a slimmer backpack.
Vice has mastered blending his belongings seamlessly into each pocket of his Alpha backpack: the side pouches hold items such as a mini surge protector with dual USB ports, a small roll of gaff tape, a GoPro camera and a few DJ cables. The “goldmine of this bag”, as Vice puts it, is the main pocket housing equipment from two pairs of headphones and a needle case, to the essentials while taking flight: magazines and a thin sweater.
Vice’s original vinyls have been repurposed and added to the bag as accent details. Staking his claim in the city of Las Vegas, Vice hit the jackpot when he was handed a $500 poker chip after a successful event. He’s always had luck by his side thanks to this poker chip that he carries in the top pocket of his Tumi bag.
“From being stuffed into overhead bins to being thrown into trunks, my backpack pays the price with my constant travels,” says Vice. “It’s good to know I have a bag that can endure the demands of late nights and early flights. I try to find every pocket to roll up, pack, squeeze; everything from clothing to kicks to my toiletries to four pieces of 12” vinyl, and that’s all with me, carried on.”
- Crafted from Tumi’s iconic ballistic nylon trimmed with leather
- Co-branded with Vice logo on signature green luggage tag
- Accented with DJ Vice signature green leather, stitching and zippers
- Side pockets contain hidden zipper U-pockets with expansion capability up to 3”, constructed from stretch material for additional storage
- Base of the bag designed from Hypalon® material with the addition of V-design feet for extra protection against wet and dirty event floors
- Side hardware engineered using pieces of DJ Vice’s vinyl records
- Custom green 3D embossed nylon lining
- LED integrated lighting system in main compartment making it easy to search for contents in dark night clubs
- Top front pocket of interior is constructed using an anti-scratch material
- A dedicated pocket to hold Vice’s lucky poker chip from a successful gig in Las Vegas
- Organizational pockets for pens, cards, hard drives
- Two large capacity pockets in the main compartment
- Two removable pouches, one for cable pouch and one for accessory
- Padded laptop compartment and iPad pocket
- Removable back section converts into a slim backpack with organizational and zipper pockets
Inspired by the world’s largest passenger airliner, the Airbus A380, a limited quantity of 380 pieces will be produced worldwide. Launching July 1, the Tumi x Vice Brief Pack® will be available on tumi.com for $495.