Rakuten, Japan’s number one online shopping mall, has arrived in Singapore, literally with a big bang… or rather, a big bag.
Set against a 9 metre-high giant Rakuten shopping bag installation, the e-commerce giant has brought together the best of its Japanese and local merchants’ products in an experiential showcase at Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza over three days, from March 28 – 30 so members of the public can experience the best of Rakuten’s products – in food, fashion, beauty and more.
In Japan, Rakuten is a household name with more than 75 million members using its site to purchase an extensive array of items ranging from fashion to cosmetics, electronics, toys, household goods, food and much more.
The Singapore site currently features 150 Japanese and local merchants with approximately 100,000 products across more than ten categories including fashion, food, health and beauty products, electronics, kids’ and babies’ products, toys and games, livingware, furniture and decoration, books, pet products, and vehicle accessories. Rakuten Singapore aims to acquire 300 merchants by the end of this year.
During the three-day “Rakuten Super Bag” extravaganza (11am – 10pm daily), members of the public can experience the following and more:
- Japanese culinary demonstrations by celebrities Paul Foster and Keagan Kang (March 28, 6.30pm), Michelle Chia (March 29, 5.30pm) and Wong Lilin (March 30, 2.30pm), together with a chef from merchant Kuriya Fish Market
- Showcase of more than 300 products from Rakuten’s top merchants
- o [Food] A gorgeous array of fresh fruit, premium seafood, sake and delectable sweets and snacks all the way from Japan, from merchants Kuriya Fish Market and more
- o [Fashion] The best of Japanese fashion from Rakuten Direct and more
- o [Home & living]: Consumer electronics, home furnishing and toys by merchants Parisilk, BLMg and Toys’R’US respectively
- Stand to win exciting prizes on-site through Facebook and make international free calls with Viber
- Special discounts on all showcasing products, and more at http://www.rakuten.com.sg
But that’s not all. Foodies, shopaholics and fans of Japanese products can also look forward a Rakuten food festival and Rakuten Super Sale – a signature Rakuten online event featuring massive product discounts – later this year.